Sunday, September 19, 2010

Warrior/ Poet

Tom Meschery was a power forward for the Warriors in the Sixties...his number in fact hangs from the rafters - though very few fans would know who he was. He was the first foreign player in the NBA, a Russian kid born in Harbin, China under Japanese rule in 1938. Interned in the war, he was finally united with his family in the US when it ended.... and their name changed from Mescheriakoff to better fit in during anti-Russki Cold War USA. He developed into a 6'-7" bruising forward who played with Wilt & Al Attles - banging with Tommy Heinsohn, Wayne Embry & the like. I knew of him back in the no-TV era because he also wrote poetry and had a book of Beat-influenced verse published while still a player. It was too perfect for San Francisco in those days, to have a pro ballplayer who was a real poet.

Meschery retired long before big salaries...and had various jobs before getting a degree and ending up as a schoolteacher in Reno. He continued to write, and published a poetry collection in 1999: "Nothing We Lose Can Be replaced". It has a segment of NBA memory poems, and this one struck me the most:

"TOM MESCHERY"

I admit sleeping late at the Hilton,
ordering room service,
handing out big tips while other men
are opening their lunch buckets. I know
you would have scolded me:
'What kind of work is this for a man?'
Old immigrant, I admit all of this
too late. You died before I could explain
newspapers called me a journeyman.
They write I roll up my sleeves
and go to work. They use words
like hammer and muscle to describe me.
For three straight years on the job
my nose collapsed. My knees ached,
and I could never talk myself out of less
than two injuries at a time. Father,
you would have been proud of me:
I labored in the company of large men.

1 comment:

  1. Coincidentally, today Free Darko has an article about how the failed NFL quarterback Todd Marinovich has an art exhibit in a gallery, with analysis of the paintings. Perhaps there's more sport/art out there than we anticipated. I remember that a nose tackle for the Vikings retired a few years back to pursue singing, and then turned out he was also coming out of the closet and couldn't take it anymore.

    ReplyDelete